Light Car Club of Australia
The Victorian Light Car Club was formed in 1924 by a number of members of the RACV in order to focus on motor sport activities. The club organised the Alpine Trial from 1926 and organised the first Australian Grand Prix at Phillip Island in 1928. In 1931 the club acquired clubrooms at 19 Brunswick Street Eastern Hill and was renamed the Light Car Club of Australia.
After the war, the LCCA organised motor racing at Albert Park (including the Olympic Grand Prix in 1956), Phillip Island and later at Sandown, hillclimbs at Rob Roy (near Templestowe) and later at Lakeland (near Lilydale), and numerous trials and rallies (see below). The club moved its headquarters to 46 Queens Road in 1961.
Heavy financial losses associated with the conduct of two heats of the World Endurance Championship at Sandown eventually lead to the club ceasing to exist in 1992.
The full history of the Light Car Club can be read in Bob Watson’s book Phillip Island to Fangio.